Zinc Selenide windows are an excellent choice for a variety of IR applications including high power CO2 laser systems. Zinc Selenide offers low IR absorption, and high resistance to thermal shock. However, windows must be handled
with caution due to material's softness.
• Ideal for high power CO2 laser applications
• Extremely low IR absorption
• Highly resistant to thermal shock
• 3 to 12 μm broadband IR antireflection coating
• Soft material not recommended for harsh environments
• Low dispersion and low absorption coefficient
Zinc Selenide has low IR absorption, and is transparent across a very wide 0.6-16 μm spectral range. This is advantageous for thermal imaging, where temperatures of remote objects are ascertained via their blackbody radiation spectrum. Long wavelength transparency is crucial for imaging room temperature objects, which radiate at peak wavelength of approximately 10 μm with very low intensity.
ZnSe has a high index of refraction which requires an anti-reflection coating to achieve high transmission. Our broadband AR.20 coating is optimized for 3 μm to 12 μm.